1) What are the considerations on choosing a primary school? (Referring to external factors)
With many different types of primary schools in Hong Kong, it is important that parents decide on type of education in terms of values and approaches that they value and wish their child to have. For example, a religious school, a local using local language or an English medium school with an international curriculum. It is also important that as parents, you feel comfortable and welcome at the school and have a good idea of the philosophy and approach to learning of the principal and staff. Have a look at the school's Mission and Vision statements. These will tell you a lot about what the school thinks is important. Ensure that the espoused beliefs are in line with your own.
2) Why are these important factors to consider?These factors are important to consider because schooling is a big and very important part of family life. Parents place their most precious children in the trust of a school to take care of, to nurture into learners and well rounded people. The goal of a primary school should be to instill into each child a love of learning- after all, primary school is just one of the first steps in a very long educational journey and we want our students leaving us excited and well equipped to take the next steps in their learning journey confidently.
3) What is the most important consideration?
That you trust the school to do a good job, to nurture your child and make the best decisions for them.
4) As a parent, how did you choose a school for your child/children?
My children went to the local primary school, with many of their friends and neighbours. I did not have the wide choice of schooling that parents in Hong Kong have.
5) What makes a great primary school?
A good primary school has a heart for their students and endeavours to, everyday, make the best decisions for them. It has open communication with parents and they are welcomed into the school as partners.High quality staff who understand learning, are excited by their profession and are always seeking to improve their practice is also important. Additionally, the school serves as a community hub and has a family feel about it, no matter its size. A clear Mission and Vision that serves as a touchstone for all decisions made in the school is also important.
6) What are the things parents should look out for in that stage of a child's education?Teachers who care for and understand children and what is developmentally appropriate for them; that know how to break learning into small, achievable steps; who can support and/or extend all learners. A principal and Senior Leadership Team that parents feel they can talk to and who will listen to them. Look at classroom environments- are they bright, attractive and engaging to learn in, is the school clean and well cared for? Will your child be safe in that environment?
7) Any tips on choosing an appropriate school? (For example, sources of information such as blogs, associations, etc)
Yes, look at the school's website. Look for and read the Principal's Blog, ask around for recommendations, but most of all, follow your 'gut instinct' about which school is right for you and your child.